Looking for the best technical writing certifications? Our experts have compiled a list of the best certificate for your needs.
The Bureau of Labor statistics that the technical writing industry is likely to show a 7% growth from 2019 to 2029. This makes it one of the fastest-growing job industries. This growth could lead to high demand for technical writers. With proper knowledge and the right skillset from a technical writing certification, you can explore the lucrative professional and freelance writing opportunities.
That is why both beginners and current technical writers need to evolve with the ever-changing industry. You must stay up to date with the latest techniques and tools that make technical writing more efficient. But does that mean you have to go to a college or university to get a special degree? No! the internet has made things easier. You can find recognized and prestigious technical writing courses online. These programs offer training and coaching necessary for career advancement.
Best Technical Writing Certifications 2024
Here’s a list of reviews of the best technical writing certification programs available online.
We rated Technical Writer HQ as having the #1 certification course for technical writers. If you’re ready to take your technical writing career to the next level, then this is one of the most recognized certifications that can do that for you.
The technical writer certification program teaches you the primary skills needed to excel in a technical career. You’ll also learn how to land your ideal technical writing job.
Here is what you should expect from the certification program:
- The program covers all the latest technical writing tools
- Learn to take your technical documentation from research to publish
- Learn to work with stakeholders in your company
- Learn to conduct user interviews
- Learn to design your technical documentation
- Build your skillset in technical writing
- Build your technical writer network
- Craft a great technical writer resume and online presence
- Ace the technical writer interview
The One Week Technical Writer is an affordable certification at the cost of $299.
The professional technical writing certification program allows is self-paced and there’s homework for each module. The course is easy to work into your schedule and you can complete homework at any time. Even though the course is designed to only take a week to complete, you can finish it at any time.
To learn more visit Technical Writer HQ
2. University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire (UWEC)
From basic technical writing to intermediate and advanced levels, the UW certification program offers different types of courses. You can choose the one that fits your career requirements. The courses are taught by the university’s best instructors and technical communicators with more than a decade of training experience.
Here is what you should expect from the program:
- The program aims to teach you the latest trends and tools in the technical communication and writing industry
- How to create your own technical documentation using planning and drafting, editing
- Audience analysis
- Editing and organization of technical documents
- Use of visual graphics to explain complex information
- Document design
- Research techniques
The key features of the program include:
- The program offers flexible scheduling hours.
- It also allows you to register as a group.
- You can customize the training program according to your requirements.
- You can collaborate with your instructors to work on an issue.
- You can register online.
- If you are unable to complete your course on time, you can request an extension from the program.
- It offers a self-paced duration
The technical writing certificate program has different price tags for each of its courses. The pricing starts from $119 and can go up to $1,599.
The professional certification program allows you to start your course whenever you want. This allows you to schedule your course during your holidays or free time. The program also offers a wide range of technical writing courses, so, you can pick the one that meets your requirements. You can also register as a group for any of the online courses. This can help you share the financial cost of the program.
3. Learning Tree
From planning to creating complete technical documents, the technical writing program offered by Learning Tree teaches you the complete process. The online training course can improve your understanding of technical documents and writing skills. The main aim is to enable you to break down technical information into easy-to-understand content.
Here is what you should expect from the course:
- Learn the techniques of effective writing
- Produce readable technical documents such as white papers and instruction manuals
- Audience analysis
- Use graphic tools to make your document more efficient
The key features of Learning Tree include:
- The program offers after-course coaching.
- You also get an after-course computer sandbox.
- You will have to take an exam at the end of the course.
- Certificates are awarded after completing the course. They are accredited by Project Management Institution and CPE.
- The program offers team training.
- The content is tailored to meet your requirements.
The live and in-class training course is offered at $2,990 and for the government, it is $2,659. For the team training course at your site, you can contact Learning Tree to work out the training program and its cost.
Learning Tree offers one of the most highly-rated technical writing courses online. The program is useful for both beginners and seasoned technical writers. It is a certification program, so you will walk away with an accredited certificate for your acquired skills. This can help you apply for better-paying technical writing jobs. Moreover, the enrollment forms are available online, which makes the registration process quite easy.
4. Society for Technical Communication (STC)
STC is among the oldest online learning platforms. The program offers online technical communication courses including a recognized technical writing certificate program and Technical Communicators certification. The course is designed to help students, academics, managers, and practitioners. On average, it will take you 2 to 6 months to complete a course. You will get to learn from experienced professionals and instructors.
The technical writing course has three tiers, Foundation, Practitioner, and Expert. You have to pass each tier to qualify for the subsequent one.
Here is what you will learn during your training period:
- Content Development
- Project Planning & Analysis
- Reviewing and Editing
- Written communication
- Production Delivery
- Content Management
- Organizational Design
- Visual Communication
The key features of STC include:
- The program is recognized by reputable employers.
- The STC course covers the latest trends and tools in technical communication.
- One of the highlights of STC is its annual technical course. It is a prestigious event in the telecommunication industry.
- The course is useful for both beginners and experienced technical writers.
- Apart from training and coaching, STC plays a role in transforming your career.
- You can also market your business on STC’s official website.
There is an enrollment of $15. Here is a breakdown of the membership fee:
- Gold Membership – You can become a gold member for $395
- Retired – $145
- Professional & Academic – It requires $225
- New Professional – $180
- Student – $75
At STC you can learn both the fundamentals of technical writing and advanced trends in the industry. The course is also quite affordable as compared to other options available online. Once you become a member, you can get access to STC’s job database, publications, salary reports, and a few other benefits.
5. LinkedIn Learning
LinkedIn Learning offers a number of technical writing courses. You can pick the course that meets your requirement and get online training from experienced instructors. These training courses are available in video format. Some of the courses offer their videos in different languages. After completing the course you will get certified for your newly acquired skills.
Here is what you will learn from these courses:
- Fundamentals of technical writings
- The complete writing process
- Audience analysis
- Technical report writing
- How to determine the purpose of your technical document
- Strategies to break down technical information into readable content
The key features of the Alison course are:
- You can download an app on your phone and learn on the go.
- It offers quizzes to assess your progress.
- You can display your certification in your LinkedIn profile.
- Most of the courses give you lifetime access to their learning and reading material.
Most of the courses will offer you a free one-month trial. You must pay a monthly fee after the trial period. Prices are different for each course. Some of the courses also offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
LinkedIn is a recognized platform and its certifications are recognized by almost all the leading employers. It also offers hundreds of courses, which gives you the freedom to choose the one that is useful for you. It is a good option for both beginners and current writers.
6. Cal State East Bay
Cal State East Bay offers an online course for technical writers. The course is designed for people who want to develop their writing skills and for professionals looking to get better in the field. The certification course will teach you all the tools necessary to break down complex information into simple content.
Here is what you will learn from the Cal State East Bay course:
- Improve your understanding of written communication
- Teach you different research methods
- Audience analysis
- Drafting and editing techniques
- Learn different writing techniques
- Develop resume-writing and job-hunting skills
The key features of Cal State East Bay are:
- The course is taught by an award-winning faculty.
- It is a self-paced course.
- It offers 80 hours of training.
- It will help you build a professional writing portfolio.
- It is a 6-month long course.
- This course offers one-on-one interaction with your instructor
The course costs $1,850. The tuition fee is subject to change.
The self-paced course allows you to schedule your study hours at your convenience. The course will help you differentiate between technical and academic writing and can improve your writing skills. The certification at the end of the program can also help your career. You do not have to jump through any hoops to enroll but you will need to have a basic knowledge of English grammar.
Upgrade Your Technical Writing Skills
The job market is becoming more and more competitive. You not only need to have experience but also the ability to evolve and keep up with ever-changing technology.
That is why the learning process never stops. The field of technical writing is no different.
So, how do you stay relevant as a technical writer? Your answer lies in online technical writing certification programs. They are a feasible solution for both beginners and current writers.
These programs offer courses that improve your skillset and knowledge. The certification at the end of your training can serve as a validation of your acquired skills. This could play a role in transforming your career by giving you more exposure. A recognized technical writing certificate is the difference between you and your competitor.
To benefit from these courses you must become smart about choosing them. Before selecting a course make sure that it is related to your industry. Moreover, the course must teach you something new. If you picked a course that did not offer anything new, it would not add to your skills. Another factor to consider is the authenticity of the course. Before you sign up, check for reviews, affiliations, and accreditations.
It is all about choosing the right course to move forward in your career.
Below is a list of some of the most common questions about technical writing certifications:
1. What is a technical writing certification?
A technical writing certification is a document that proves you have the necessary skills to write about technical topics, and it will cover subjects like how to format text, grammar rules for technical style, and vocabulary words specific to your field.
2. How do you become a certified technical writer?
While certification may seem intimidating at times, it’s easier than ever to get started with some of the best technical writing certifications out there; just start one of the courses listed above.
3. What are the benefits of being certified in technical writing?
Being a technical writer doesn’t require any special certification, but it can give you more options for your career advancement. Certified technical writers often make more money than those who aren’t. Moreover, being certified in technical writing helps you better perform at your job leading to higher quality output, and often, recognition and salary increases.
4. Do you need a certificate to be a technical writer?
You don’t need a certificate to write technical documents, but being qualified can open doors that might not have been there before.